MHG42383 - Kilravock Castle, ?chapel and dovecot
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DOVECOT (Undated)
NH84NW 3 8140 4934.
A chapel, dedicated to a forgotten saint, but evidenced by the name Kilravock, was traditionally, on the same site as the present pigeon-house at Kilravock.
L Shaw 1882.
The dovecote is behind Kilravock Castle on a slope above the river. It is in the upper part of the building over a stone vaulted basement. The red sandstone rubble-built walls are 45 inches thick and carry the remnants of a string-course on the south side. It is square. The roof is cone-shaped, slate-covered, and has a square wooden cupola. Information from Ms of A N Robertson, 'Old dovecotes of Scotland', 384
This dovecot, situated at NH 8140 4934, is as described above and is contemporary with the second phase of the building of Kilravock Castle (NH84SW 2) in the 16th or 17th century (Information from Mrs Rose, Kilravock Castle, Croy, Nairnshire). In its original form it had a gabled roof, since replaced. There is no trace or local knowledge of the alleged chapel noted by Shaw (1882).
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1964.
Shaw, L, 1882, The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties, Vol. 2, 295 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2787.
Robertson, A N, 1957, Old dovecots of Scotland, 384 (Text/Manuscript). SHG2729.
RCAHMS, 1978, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region, 17, No. 122 (Text/Report). SHG2672.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 17, No. 122.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Robertson, A N. 1957. Old dovecots of Scotland. 384.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Shaw, L. 1882. The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties. Vol. 2, 295.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8140 4933 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:1841 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1841 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15043 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.