MHG42437 - Dovecote & burial grond, Scarton Point, Stroma
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL VAULT (Undated)
Vault (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
Burial Vault and Dovecot: From centre of graveyard rises a rectangular structure, now roofless, built with grey flags and pink sandstone quoins. It has been finished with an ordinary span roof, now gone. The building measures 25ft by 18ft 5ins externally, is formed of two storeys, and is some 22ft in height. On ground level is a low vaulted burial vault. On floor above vault is a pigeon house. A stone at S side of W front of building bears date 1677 cut in relief.
The burial vault and dovecot are as described by RCAHMS and lie at E end of graveyard, which has been extended westwards.
Visited by OS (R D) 1 March 1965.
The burial vault and dovecot are as described and illustrated. There is now no trace of burials in the vault.
Visited by OS (J B) 20 July 1982.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 19-20, No. 50; illust (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Beaton, E, 1978, 'Notes on four Caithness doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 1978, p.121-4, 124 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1198.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, E. 1978. 'Notes on four Caithness doocots', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 2 1978, p.121-4. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 121-4. 124.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 19-20, No. 50; illust.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3586 7647 (8m by 8m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:1806 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1806 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9365 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.