MHG4263 - Carved Stone Ball - Loch Lochy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A six-knobbed carved stone ball, decorated with incised lines (type 9c), found at the S end of Loch Lochy, is in RMS (AS 12).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1882; D N Marshall 1979.
The stone ball was acquired by the NMS in 1881 from Rev. A. Clark. <1>
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 08/2011. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Invergarry. Yes. Site 1.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 71.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1882. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-56,176-80,236-41,401-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-5. 12.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 12.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 1799 8400 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-321-C& (Link to NMS onlince collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/23742 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.