MHG42780 - East Schoolhouse, Glenurquhart Secondary School, Drumnadrochit

Summary

One of two later 19th-century schoolhouses attached to the school.

Type and Period (1)

  • SCHOOLHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1866 AD to 1885 AD (at some time))

Protected Status

Full Description

The eastern of two single storey and attic 3-bay schoolhouses flanking either end of a later 19th century single storey school, probably by Alexander Ross. A full architectural description is available in Historic Scotland's listed building record (see link to web page). Coped rubble garden walls enclose the schoolhouses, with paired gates with cast-iron spearhead railings and slender octagonal cast iron gate piers matching those at the school. <1>

Information submitted by the architect for the proposed conversion of the school and the western schoolhouse states that the roof is of Ballachulish slate with lead ridging, valleys etc. Stone walls to the south elevation are formed with (probably) hopeman tooled ashlar stone quoins and rybats and with tarradle square random rubble infill. The stone walls to the north elevation have quoins etc as above but with sneck harled random rubble infill. The pointing is generally lime based but with some recent cement repairs. Blind trefoil vents are located on both north and south elevations. Sash and case widnows with pointed arches are standard with some rectangular windows on the north elevation. The cast iron railings are generally in need of repair. <2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 51007 29588 (20m by 21m) (Surveyed)
Map sheet NH52NW
Civil Parish URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.