MHG43690 - Icehouse, Delnies
A late 19th-century icehouse.
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1877 AD to 1877 AD)
- None recorded
NH85NW 6 8482 5658.
(NH 8482 5658) Icehouse (NAT)
OS 6" map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)
A round earthwork at Delnies, now the site of the icehouse of a salmon-fishery, is traditionally regarded as a Roman camp.
G Bain 1893. <1>
The former ice-house, now a store, is situated on a natural whin-covered hillock which contains no man-made features.
No further info obtained. Visited by OS (NKB) 22 11 1965.
A natural hillock covered by whin and mutilated by the construction of an ice-house and a golf-course green.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978. <2>
This icehouse was noted during a walkover survey in June 2007. It has a date stone marked 'JA' and 1877 and an apparently associated building is located immediately to the north. The buildings appear to be in use as storage facilities for the golf course. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 32.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 24, No. 203.
- <3> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: Farningham McCreadie Partnership; White Young Green Planning and Design. 2008. Mixed Use Development at Delnies, Nairn: Environmental Impact Assessment. The Cawdor Maintenance Trust. . Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 3, p 65-6.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 84820 56590 (8m by 11m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15158 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.