MHG43690 - Icehouse - Delnies
A late 19th-century icehouse.
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1877 AD to 1877 AD)
A round earthwork at Delnies, now the site of the icehouse of a salmon-fishery, is traditionally regarded as a Roman camp.
G Bain 1893. <1>
The former ice-house, now a store, is situated on a natural whin-covered hillock which contains no man-made features.
No further info obtained. Visited by OS (NKB) 22 11 1965.
A natural hillock covered by whin and mutilated by the construction of an ice-house and a golf-course green.
RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978. <2>
This icehouse was noted during a walkover survey in June 2007. It has a date stone marked 'JA' and 1877 and an apparently associated building is located immediately to the north. The buildings appear to be in use as storage facilities for the golf course. <3>
The building was listed at Category B, in association with a former bothy to the north (see MHG62648), by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 18/02/2020. <4>
GIS spatial data amended in 2022 according to location of building as seen on OS MasterMap. <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 32.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1978. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Nairn District, Highland Region. . 24, No. 203.
- <3> Text/Report/Environmental Statement: Farningham McCreadie Partnership; White Young Green Planning and Design. 2008. Mixed Use Development at Delnies, Nairn: Environmental Impact Assessment. The Cawdor Maintenance Trust. . Digital (scanned as PDF). Site 3, p 65-6.
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Environment Scotland. 2020. Notification of the listing of Delnies Ice House and Bothy, The Nairn Golf Club, Nairn: LB52544. Historic Environment Scotland. 19/02/2020. Digital.
- <5> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 84820 56590 (10m by 13m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB52544 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15158 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.