MHG43769 - Barracks, Inverlael
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BARRACKS (Undated)
Government bodies promoted flax spinning in the Highlands between 1749 and 1770s, and funded the building of two spinning schools in Wester Ross. The schools were adanboned in 1789 and converted to substantial farmhouses.
Ross & Cromarty - A Historical Guide by D Alson, 1999
J Aitken: 14/09/04
1746 Inverlael, a farm, was used as barracks by Hanoverian soldiers.
A C M Mitford 1936
The farm, used as a barracks in 1746, is now the Inverlael P.O., situated at NH 18138603. The buildings were built in 1690, and are in an excellent state of preservation. The tradition of its use as a barracks is well-known locally.(Dr S M Whitteridge, Inverlael Lodge, Loch Broom) Visited by OS (R B) 10 October 1964
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1812 8597 (120m by 120m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7762 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12115 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.