MHG43784 - Balconie House (site)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Undated)
- None recorded
Balconie House (NAT). OS 6" map, (1959)
Balconie Castle on site of 1 of castles occupied by Earls of Ross.
N Macrae 1923.
Balconie House is a derelict 4 storey building. There is no trace of a former building to be seen. It is perhaps significant that position is opposite Castlecraig (NH66SW 2) which stands on SE shore of Cromarty Firth and it is believed locally that a castle guarded firth on each side here.
Visited by OS (R D) 5 May 1963.
The 19th-century Balconie House has been demolished.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. xvi.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 29, No. 249.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6155 6568 (29m by 36m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13684 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.