MHG43838 - Souterrain, Salscraggie Lodge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
Earth House (NR) (site of)
OS 6"map, (1964)
In centre of lawn in front of Salscaggie Lodge is a souterrain, the entrance to which was discovered when an earthen mound, some 25' in diameter and 6' to 8' high, possibly remains of a hut circle, was being cleared away. It is entered by a flight of six steps, 2' wide, leading to a covered passage 3' wide and 4' to 5' high, its extreme length being 22'. The sides are built of boulders and the roof is flagged. Within the gallery, when it was cleared, were found a "human arm bone", a rotary quern, a portion of another, and a saddle quern, all of which with the exception of the first item, are lying around the entrance.
A B Scott 1899; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
This souterrain was filled in many years ago, and there are now no surface indications.
Visited by OS (W D J) 20 May 1960 and (N K B) 19 November 1976.
Scott, A B, 1899, 'The earth-houses of Kildonan, Sutherland', The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queries Vol. 13 April 1899, p.155-60, 55-60 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1658.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 112, No. 324; fig. 34 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1899. 'The earth-houses of Kildonan, Sutherland', The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queries Vol. 13 April 1899, p.155-60. The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queri. 155-60. 55-60.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 112, No. 324; fig. 34.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9988 1828 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1884 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1884 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6999 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.