MHG44921 - Possible early medieval carving - St. Mary's Church, Kilmuir

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CARVED STONE? (Early Medieval - 561 AD? to 1057 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH65SE 4 6767 5014.
Kilmuir Church (NR). OS 6" map, (1959)

This church, dedicated to St. Mary, was parish church of Kilmuir parish, which was combined with Suddie parish in 1756. It was abandoned in 1762, when parish church was removed to Knockbain (NH 6459 5225). The church was probably erected in 15th century but graveyard, which was still in use in 1877, contains stones with late Celtic carving. The walls of church, which has measured 60'10" by 26'5" are well preserved. <1> <2> <3> <4>

The remains of St. Mary's Church, Kilmuir, are situated in a graveyard, still in use. NE and SW gables are virtually intact, NW wall survives to a height of 2.5m, and SE wall varies from footings to 1.8m in height. The walls are 0.9m thick, of roughly coursed masonry with rubble infilling loaded with shell mortar. A mausoleum has been built in the chancel and SW end is enclosed by iron railings. Several graves lie within church, but none with "late Celtic carving" were found here or in the graveyard.
Visited by OS (N K B) 21 March 1966.

See also:
NH65SE0084 (MHG31601) Graveyard

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6768 5013 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH65SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KNOCKBAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.