MHG8233 - St. Mary's Church, Kilmuir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Pictish to 19th Century - 300 AD to 1900 AD)
NH65SE 4 6767 5014.
Kilmuir Church (NR). OS 6" map, (1959)
This church, dedicated to St. Mary, was parish church of Kilmuir parish, which was combined with Suddie parish in 1756. It was abandoned in 1762, when parish church was removed to Knockbain (NH 6459 5225). The church was probably erected in 15th century but graveyard, which was still in use in 1877, contains stones with late Celtic carving. The walls of church, which has measured 60'10" by 26'5" are well preserved. <1> <2> <3> <4>
The remains of St. Mary's Church, Kilmuir, are situated in a graveyard, still in use. NE and SW gables are virtually intact, NW wall survives to a height of 2.5m, and SE wall varies from footings to 1.8m in height. The walls are 0.9m thick, of roughly coursed masonry with rubble infilling loaded with shell mortar. A mausoleum has been built in the chancel and SW end is enclosed by iron railings. Several graves lie within church, but none with "late Celtic carving" were found here or in the graveyard.
Visited by OS (N K B) 21 March 1966.
The ruined church and burial ground were listed at Category B in 1971.
The church was scheduled in 1992.
The church was removed from the listing in August 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of sites in the Highlands, though it remains a scheduled monument. The statutory address was formerly 'Kilmuir Old Church And Burial Ground'. <5>
NH65SE0084 (MHG31601) Graveyard
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1885. 'The Ord of Kessock', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 1 1875-80, p.68-9. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 68-9. 69.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 136.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 7, 14.
- <4> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 19, No. 114.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, Two Hundred and Fourth Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 04/09/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6767 5013 (19m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5466 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13591 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.