MHG44935 - Cawdor Parish Church & Burial Ground, Cawdor Village


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • PILLORY (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

See also:
NH84NW0119 Graveyard
J Aitken : 11/02/03
NH84NW 4 8436 4994.

(NH 8436 4994) Ch. (NAT) Jougs (NR)
OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)

Parish Church of Cawdor, built 1619 to supersede Barevan Church (NH84NW 6). It was partially rebuilt 1830, but the original tower, south aisle and porch remain. The square belfry stage is 18th century, the original 'pricket' having been blown down. The jougs still hang at the church door.
W D Simpson 1937; G Hay 1957.

Church as described above. Two sets of jougs formerly hung at the church door but only one set remains.
Visited by OS (N K B) 22 November 1965.

Contract for a clock with 2 faces for the Church Steeple. James Brown: watchmaker 1723

Payment, for clock for steeple of Cawdor Church.
Receipt from James Brown, Clock and Watchmaker at Banff and Jean Reid, relict of deceased James Brown, Watch and Clockmaker of Aberdeen for the sum of ?15 sterling. 1725
GD128/2/6/1 and GD128/35/1

Church Plan and elevation of south side 1779

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 8436 4993 (6m by 6m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH84NW
Civil Parish CAWDOR
Geographical Area NAIRN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.