MHG6895 - Cawdor Parish Church & Burial Ground, Cawdor Village
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1560 AD to 2100 AD)
The building was photographed as part of a character appraisal of Cawdor Conservation Area in 2015. <1>
J Aitken : 11/02/03
NH84NW 4 8436 4994.
(NH 8436 4994) Ch. (NAT) Jougs (NR)
OS 6"map, Nairnshire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Parish Church of Cawdor, built 1619 to supersede Barevan Church (NH84NW 6). It was partially rebuilt 1830, but the original tower, south aisle and porch remain. The square belfry stage is 18th century, the original 'pricket' having been blown down. The jougs still hang at the church door.
W D Simpson 1937; G Hay 1957.
Church as described above. Two sets of jougs formerly hung at the church door but only one set remains.
Visited by OS (N K B) 22 November 1965.
Contract for a clock with 2 faces for the Church Steeple. James Brown: watchmaker 1723
Payment, for clock for steeple of Cawdor Church.
Receipt from James Brown, Clock and Watchmaker at Banff and Jean Reid, relict of deceased James Brown, Watch and Clockmaker of Aberdeen for the sum of ?15 sterling. 1725
GD128/2/6/1 and GD128/35/1
Church Plan and elevation of south side 1779
Taylor, A, 02/2010, A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25366.
Simpson, W D, 1937, 'Rait Castle and Barevan Church, Nairnshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 71 1936-7, p.98-115, 114 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1385.
Hay, G, 1957, The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, 39, 44, 171; pl. 9a (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2307.
Love J, McMullen E (ed), 1994, A Salmon for the Schoolhouse, A Nairnshire Parish in the C19 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2425.
Worth, S, 2015, Cawdor Conservation Area Appraisal Dataset, UID036 (Dataset). SHG27122.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Simpson, W D. 1937. 'Rait Castle and Barevan Church, Nairnshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 71 1936-7, p.98-115. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 98-115. 114.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 39, 44, 171; pl. 9a.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Love J, McMullen E (ed). 1994. A Salmon for the Schoolhouse, A Nairnshire Parish in the C19.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Dataset: Worth, S. 2015. Cawdor Conservation Area Appraisal Dataset. Highland Council. Digital. UID036.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8435 4994 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:1760 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/ (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1760 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15054 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.