MHG44943 - Auldearn Old Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SUNDIAL (Undated)
Thompson (appendix to diary 1884) "village now of but small dimensions was once the most important town in the county & we read of the Dean of the college in connection with Elgin Cathedral being its minister" - HAW 2/2003
J Aitken : 11/12/02
Incorporates former NH95NW0045 a/b
NH95NW 6 9194 5555.
(NH 9194 5555) Church (NAT) OS 6" map (1959)
The parish church of Auldearn, built 1757, It is adjoined by an unroofed portion of its predecessor (whose windows bear traces of Gothic architecture), which is now used for burial.
St Columba was associated with Auldearn but whether his establishment was on this site or whether medieval church was dedicated to him is not known.
G Bain 1893
As described above. Visited by OS (RD) 26 November 1965
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9192 5553 (4m by 4m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1647 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5418 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.