MHG45063 - Cist - Drumbuie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- None recorded
Two symbol stones were found in a cairn on the farm of Drumbuie (NH 5130-5131) about 1869.
One stone is a rough-surfaced weatherworn slab of irregular shape, its greatest length being 2' 6" and its greatest breadth being 2' 6". It bears the spectacle symbol and Z rod with intertwined serpent.
The second stone, evidently a fragment, is 3' 8" in greatest length and 2' 10" in greatest breadth. Its surface is rough and weatherworn. It bears two mirror symbols, the tail of a fish and the gridiron symbol.
W MacKay 1886
These stones were discovered in 1864 while ploughing round the site of an old grain-kiln on Drumbuie farm. They formed the covering of a cist-like structure containing earth and sand mixed with ashes and charcoal, but no human remains. (They were acquired by the NMAS. in 1955 (Acc.Nos. IB 287 & 288).)
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903, PSAS 1935
No further information.
Visited by OS (R L) 9 Feburary 1969
Two Class I symbol stones.
Drumbuie 1 : Serpent and Z-Rod above a Double Disc.
Drumbuie 2 : Salmon above a Mirror case,to the left of a Mirror and Comb .
A.Mack 1997 p.31
- --- SHG1288 Text/Publication/Article: Mackay, W. 1886. 'Notice of two sculptured stones in Glen Urquhart', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 20 1885-6, p.358-60. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 358-60. 358-60.
- --- SHG1395 Text/Publication/Article: Alcock, L. & Alcock, E A. 1993. Reconnaissance excavations on Early Historic fortifications and other royal sites in Scotland, 1974-84; A, Excavations and other fieldwork at Forteviot, Perthshire, 1981; B, Excavations at Urquhart Castle, Inverness-shire, 1983; C, Excavations at Dunnot. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 122. 215-87. 242-67.
- --- SHG1883 Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 55.
- --- SHG2357 Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- SHG2456 Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 141.
- --- SHG2712 Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 14.
- --- SHG551 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1935. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 69 1934-5, p.9-26,118-21,246-50,322-4,397-401,435-43. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-26,118-21,246-50,322-4,. 247-8.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5100 3000 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12625 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.