MHG45228 - Cist & Stone Rows, Watenan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
From the hillfort and Cairn of Get this large area of stone rows are visible running downslope in the lower valley. Larger stones are visible, others will be heather/peat covered. Photo. 24/05/2005
ND34SW 18 3140 4131.
Cairn & Stone Rows (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
Cairn with cist and associated stone rows. The cairn, excavated by Anderson in 1865, was about 18ft in diameter and contained a cist, 5ft by 2ft 6ins, in which were two oval flint flakes (now in the NMAS), fragments of a beaker and two human molars. Seven or eight rows of low standing stones radiate down the slope from the cairn towards SSW. The longest row is 194ft in length and the stones stand 8 to 10ft apart, facing across the rows. Thirty-seven remained erect in 1910, with three or four lying displaced.
RCAHMS 1911; J Anderson 1886; M E C Mitchell 1934.
A heather-covered cairn, 10m. in diameter, containing a cist, as described by RCAHMS. Only 30 stones of the stone rows now remain in situ.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 April 1967.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Freer and Myatt, R and L J. 1982. 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 58-63. 60-1; plan fig. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1886. Scotland in pagan times: the bronze and stone ages: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1882. 127; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 178, No. 558.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mitchell, M E C. 1934. 'A new analysis of the Early Bronze Age beaker pottery of Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 68 (1933-34), pp 132-89. p 181.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3140 4130 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM504 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9016 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.