MHG45230 - Dalcross Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- WALLED GARDEN (Undated)
NH74NE 17 7785 4829.
(NH 7785 4829) Dalcross Castle (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
Dalcross Castle is a good example of the early 17th century tower-built castles; it shows one of the modifications then introduced to the L-plan and was built in 1621 by the 8th Lord Lovat. It was purchased in 1702, the added North wing bears date 1703, by the M'Intoshes whose arms with date 1720 were inserted above the entrance. The upper floors were ruinous but the castle was restored for habitation in 1897-8.
The buildings for byres and stables on the east of the court-yard are comparatively modern.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; L Shaw 1882; ISSFC 1921.
This castle is as described above and is still inhabited.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1964.
Architect: Samuel Grant Alexander (with W.L. Carruthers) - restoration
- --- Text/Publication/Leaflet: Dalcross Estate. 1996. Dalcross Estate, by Inverness, Inverness-shire: [sale particulars].
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol. 2, 179-82; plans, illusts..
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Shaw, L. 1882. The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties. 298.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Dalcross Castle. 1996. For sale: a piece of Scotland's history [Dalcross Castle, newscutting]. The Herald.
- --- Text/Publication/Article/Newspaper Article: Kelly, R. 1996. Buyer wanted for castle where victors of Culloden stayed [Dalcross Castle, newscutting]. The Times.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1921. 'Dalcros and other castles, June 1912', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 8 1912-18, p.46-52. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 46-52. 46-52.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7786 4829 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB1713 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14152 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/252346 (View additional photos on RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.