MHG45307 - Alligin Shuas


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • ENCLOSURE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NG85NW 4 centred on 831 578

8332 5783: Small corn-drying kiln deserted settlement. (No details given.) M MacDonald 1992.

A township comprising sixty-four roofed, three partially roofed and eighteen unroofed buildings, eighteen enclosures, some field walls and parts of a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1881, sheet lxxxi). One of the unroofed buildings is situated in an area marked as an Infants Burying Gound which was "formerly used as a burying place for infants under one year." (Name Book). Twenty-seven roofed, thirty-three unroofed buildings, several enclosures, some field walls and parts of a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Name Book 1881
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 24 April 1996

NG 834 582 The site name (Torran nam Tiodhlacaidh) means 'the little mound of the burial', and is one of a group of mounds around Loch Torridon which are associated locally with the burial of unbaptised infants. Such a mound was the subject of a rescue excavation in the 1970s at Shieldaig, and was dated to the Bronze Age.
M Macdonald 1995.

NG 8318 5768 Cruck slots still survive within this ruinous building.
J Wordsworth 1995.

Sources/Archives (9)



Grid reference Centred NG 8309 5779 (60m by 60m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NG85NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.