MHG45338 - Building/farmstead, Gleann Meinich
Building/farmstead at Gleann Meinich
Type and Period (2)
- BOTHY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
'Sheep fanks and two bothies'; no details given.
D W Ross 1991a. <1>
Circular "sheepfold" marked at this loation on 1st ed OS (ie on W side of streamlets) - HAW 10/2003
Lower Gleann Meinich farmstead and sheepfold (996 – 1000) - centred on NH 2673 5323 - (Nmrs No - NH25SE 0012) This site is in the lower part of Glen Meinich on the north bank of the river on a gentle slope facing south and was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. It has good relatively fertile ground surrounding but it has been forested; the trees are now felled, but it has been mounded and replanted again. The site comprises 3 buildings a circular sheepfold and an enclosure. A small burn runs through the site.
996 Building/Farmstead - NH 26723 53254 This rectangular building, to the north of the sheepfold, is aligned E-W. It has internal dimensions of 4.8m x 2.5m. The substantial wall footings of turf and with some good stone settings are 0.2m-0.3m in height with a spread of 1-1.2m. The walls in the SE part are more wasted presumably having been robbed of stone for the nearby sheepfold. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <3>
Note; see MHG7554 for sheepfold and MHG 57525 for other bothy. (T Blackie (13/12/17)
- <1> SHG1574 Text/Publication/Article: Ross, D W. 1991. 'Survey of Forestry Commission land: Glen Meinich, Strath Conon (Contin parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1991, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <2> SHG24905 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.24 Site 996.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2672 5327 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/80847 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.