MHG7554 - Sheepfold, Gleann Meinich
Sheepfold at Gleann Meinich
Type and Period (2)
- SHEEP FOLD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) FANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
'Sheep fanks and two bothies'; no details given.
D W Ross 1991a. <1>
Circular "sheepfold" marked at this loation on 1st ed OS (ie on W side of streamlets) - HAW 10/2003
Gleann Meinich is a side valley of Strathconon, was recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project and runs for 8 kms in a ESE-WNW direction from Invermeinie. It is a prime example of a U shaped valley with steep sides and a flat valley floor. It was one of the first areas to be let as a sheepwalk at the beginning of the 19th century, more recently it has been turned over to forestry. Today much of the forest has been felled and replanted but there are some more mature open stands of trees. A good forest road traverses the glen almost to the very top.
1000 Sheepfold - NH 26720 53200 A circular sheepfold with internal diameter of c15m. The dry stone walls are tumbled in places but 1.2m in many parts. A small stone built pen abuts the wall on the inside in the N part and a sheep creep in the south part measures 0.6m width by 0.7m height. A further previously recorded sheepfold, Nmrs No NH25SE 0025, at NH 2604 5332, 700m to the west of the above site, on the south side of the river, was not visited. Also in this vicinity a previously recorded dyke, NH25SE 0014 at NH261535, was searched for but not located. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <3>
Note; see MHG45338 and MHG57525 for the bothies (T Blackie 13/12/17)
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Ross, D W. 1991. 'Survey of Forestry Commission land: Glen Meinich, Strath Conon (Contin parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1991, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.24 Site 1000.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. Site 1000 Sheepfold. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2672 5324 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/80847 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.