MHG57525 - Building/possible byre, Gleann Meinich
Building/possible byre at Gleann Meinich
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BYRE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
'Sheep fanks and two bothies'; no details given.
D W Ross 1991a. <1>
Circular "sheepfold" marked at this loation on 1st ed OS (ie on W side of streamlets) - HAW 10/2003
Lower Gleann Meinich farmstead and sheepfold (996 – 1000) - centred on NH 2673 5323 - (Nmrs No - NH25SE 0012) This site is in the lower part of Glen Meinich on the north bank of the river on a gentle slope facing south. It has good relatively fertile ground surrounding but it has been forested; the trees are now felled, but it has been mounded and replanted again. The site comprises 3 buildings a circular sheepfold and an enclosure. A small burn runs through the site.
997 Building/Possible byre - NH 26731 53248 A rectangular building aligned SE-NW this measures 6.4m x 3.1m internally. The NW part is recessed into the slope and the wall here is 0.5m in height otherwise the wall footings are 0.2m in height and appear to be robbed of their stone. There is a possible entrance in the SW wall. The building slopes to the SE where the end wall is missing. <2>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <3>
Note; For sheepfold, see MHG7554 and other bothy see MHG 45338 (T. Blackie 13/12/17).
- <1> SHG1574 Text/Publication/Article: Ross, D W. 1991. 'Survey of Forestry Commission land: Glen Meinich, Strath Conon (Contin parish)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1991, p.43. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 43. 43.
- <2> SHG24905 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Four Strathanmore to Loch Beannacharain: May 2008 - June 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p. 24 Site 997.
- <3> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 2672 5326 (8m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.