MHG45364 - Invergordon Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Undated)
- None recorded
Local guide says Inverbreakie Castle first mentioned in C13 as occupied by Fleming, placed there by Will the Lion.. Estate purchased by Sir Will Gordon EC18. "the Castle, orig a stone tower, was enlarged or rebuilt by him"…... to Macleods, then Macleods of Cadbol…. the castle was largely destroyed by fire early in C18 and replaced in 1872 by large mansion house itself demolished in 1928 after the break up of the Cadboll Estates - HAW 12/2002
NH66NE 16 c.6984 6965.
Invergordon Castle (NAT)
OS 6" map, Ross and Cromarty, 1st ed., (1872)
The original name of Invergordon Castle was 'Inverbreakie Castle', which is mentioned in 13th century. The change of name took place on acquisition of estate by Sir Wm Gordon at beginning of 18th century. The old castle was destroyed by fire and was replaced by a modern mansion in 1872, demolished in 1928.
Anon 1936; 1957.
ARCHITECT: Alexander Ross c1873
SKL/LOC Local Plan, Mar 1986: P39/6.10. POLICY - The Council will safeguard the site of Invergordon Castle insofar as this is compatible with their aim of achieving a sound employment base for the local popn.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.
Polson, A, 1914, Easter Ross, page 26 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2629.
Anon, 1936, Official guide to Invergordon, 14-16 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1906.
Anon, 1957, Official guide to Invergordon, 25-7 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1907.
Robert B K Stevenson, 1974, 'The Cadboll Cup.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.306-8, 306-8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3030.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 30, No. 258 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anon. 1936. Official guide to Invergordon. 1st. 14-16.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anon. 1957. Official guide to Invergordon. 2nd ed.. 25-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Polson, A. 1914. Easter Ross. page 26.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 30, No. 258.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Robert B K Stevenson. 1974. 'The Cadboll Cup.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 104 1971-2, p.306-8. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 306-8. 306-8.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6985 6966 (60m by 68m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13621 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.