MHG4605 - Gallows Mound - Tom A' Chrochair
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- GALLOWS MOUND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Tom a'Chrochair Human Remains found here AD. 1865
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
According to local tradition a gallows stood here in the days of the Baron Bailies, ie. from 1694, when the Regality of Grant was erected by Royal Charter, to 1748, when the Regality Courts were abolished. Human bones were found here in 1826. (Tom a'Crochair - "Knoll of the hangman") J M Mathieson 1953.
The tradition of a gallows on Tom a'Chrochair is still known locally. The knoll was virtually obliterated by the cutting of the railway in 1865, when the human remains were found.
Visited by OS (N K B) 16 September 1966.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9841 2119 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||ABERNETHY AND KINCARDINE|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15444 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.