MHG46055 - Lithic Scatter - Camas An Leim 2
A lithic scatter comprising three lithic finds.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NG85NW 33 8189 5540
Recorded between May and September 2002 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project and the Sea Loch Survey.
NG 8189 5540 Camas-an-Leim Raised beach, shovel pitted - lithics recovered
K Hardy and C Wickham-Jones 2002
This lithic scatter site was investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project. It was located in a small, sheltered raised beach (10m OD) with a north-easterly aspect looking into Loch Torridan. This site was well drained and has been heavily cultivated; there was surviving evidence of lazy bed cultivation.
Two transects of 13 and 20 shovel pits were laid out at 25m intervals on a north-west —south-east alignment, along the crest of the raised beach. A well formed plough soil, 100–320mm deep, lay directly on the beach material. There were three lithic finds from the base of the plough soil: two regular flakes and one piece of debitage, all of chalcedonic silica. In addition another flake of chalcedonic silica was found from the surface of an eroding path across the site. This site is near to SFS 168 (MHG46056), a rockshelter from which a single flake of chalcedonic silica was recovered. Even taken together finds are not abundant, but it is likely that some sort of prehistoric activity is indicated. <1>
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 240649.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.16, SFS 188.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8188 5539 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/240649 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.