MHG46056 - Lithics - Camas-an-leim
The findspot of a single lithic flake from a rock shelter, discovered by the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (2)
- ROCK SHELTER (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- FINDSPOT (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (27/03/2003)
NG85NW 34 8186 5531
Recorded between May and September 2002 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project and the Sea Loch Survey.
NG 8186 5531 Camas an Leim Rock shelter, lithics recovered
K Hardy and C R Wickham-Jones 2002
A surface find of a chalcedonic silica flake was made by the Scotland's First Settlers Project in 2002 from this rock shelter. The isolated find suggests human activity, though more work is needed to provide any detail. This site may well be part of a wider complex including SFS 188, Camas an Leim 2 (MHG46055). <1>
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 240650.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.15, SFS 168.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8186 5530 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/240650 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.