MHG46058 - Lithic Scatter - The Mains, Torridon
A lithic scatter site investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Recorded between May and September 2002 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project and the Sea Loch Survey.
NG 9020 5570 The Mains Raised beach, shovel pitted: lithics recovered. <1>
This site was investigated by the Scotland's First Settler's Project in 2002. It was located at a well-defined raised beach site lying on the north shore of the eastern end of Loch Torridon. Although the site had not been ploughed in recent memory, the ground bore signs of cultivation. A single transect of 25 shovel pits was laid to run east to west across the level surface of the raised beach. There were three finds all from the same pit, SP5: a blade and a flake of chalcedonic silica; and a piece of quartz debitage. The recovered lithics lay at the interface of the plough soil and the underlying pebble beach. The lithics certainly indicated past human activity, but they were few in number and not period specific. <2>
See link below to the published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31 for further details.
Grid reference NH 9020 6670 provided in report <1> is incorrect.
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 240652.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.70, SFS 186. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9019 5570 (100m by 100m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/240652 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.