MHG46063 - Lithic Scatter - Nead An Eoin, Plockton Airstrip
A lithic scatter investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (1)
- LITHIC SCATTER (Mesolithic to Late Bronze Age - 8000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (27/03/2003)
NG73SE 55 7890 3310
Recorded between May and September 2002 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project and the Sea Loch Survey.
NG 7890 3310 Nead an Eoin Raised beach, shovel pitted: lithics recovered
K Hardy and C R Wickham-Jones 2002
An open air lithic scatter site was investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project in 2002. It was located at a small, sheltered, raised beach with a westward aspect. It was close to the site of Cnoc na Celpeirein (SFS
147, MHG46062) from which 37 lithics were collected earlier in the SFS survey. A single transect of 35 shovel pits was laid around the bay, just behind the crest of the beach. The first 22 pits were at 5m intervals while the remaining 13 pits were at 10m intervals. The sampled area had been heavily cultivated, probably in recent times so that the plough soil was deep (190–380mm) and finds were limited.
Finds were recorded in two distinct groups: Pits 2, 5 and 12 close to SFS 147; and Pits 21, 22 and 24 located 115m to its north-east. In all there were 11 finds: Five of bloodstone, three of chalcedonic silica and three of quartz. Seven pieces were debitage (including all but one of the bloodstone), and there were four regular flakes. Two regular flakes and three pieces of debitage were located in the first group and two regular flakes and four pieces of debitage in the second. The finds suggest low level prehistoric activity but no precise date. <1>
- --- SHG24123 Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 240659.
- <1> SHG24512 Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.47, SFS 183.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7890 3309 (20m by 20m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/240659 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.