MHG46076 - Cave and Midden - Meall Na H-airde
A cave and midden investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project.
Type and Period (2)
- CAVE (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- MIDDEN (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
NMRS Report: (28/03/2003)
NG83NW 21 8269 3629
Recorded between May and September 2002 as part of the Scotland's First Settlers Project and the Sea Loch Survey.
NG 8269 3629 Meall-na-h-Airde 2 Old sea cave with extant midden deposits and lithics
NG 8269 3629 Meall-na-h-Airde 2. Test pit dug at rear of cave in an area of shell midden. Finds include a number of lithics.
Sponsors: HS, Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, British Academy
K Hardy and C R Wickham-Jones 2002
This site investigated by the Scotland's First Settlers Project in 2002. It comprised a south-west-facing sea cave lying at the foot of old sea cliffs with a small area of midden lying at the rear of the cave. It is possible that this was all that remained of a larger midden that has been washed out. Three hearth sites lay inside the cave. A test pit was dug into the midden. There were 27 lithic finds: 23 of chalcedonic silica and four of quartz. Seven pieces were debitage, 18 were regular flakes, and there was one blade and one edge-retouched piece. 1 pottery sherd, a total of 100 bones, an assemblage of shell and charcoal were also found.
The lithics suggested activity in prehistory and the pottery may tentatively be assigned to the Iron Age. A lack of identifiable mammal bone, together with the small fish bone assemblage, suggested that the site was only used for limited fishing and shell-fish collection. The large sizes of fish caught would be consistent with either a prehistoric or a historic date. The large fish sizes of the gadid species suggest that deep-water fishing was used. <1>
See link below to the published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31 for further details.
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 240685.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Hardy, K and Wickham-Jones, C (eds). 2007. Mesolithic and later sites around the Inner Sound, Scotland: the work of the Scotland's First Settlers project 1998-2004, Scottish Archaeological Internet Reports 31. Scottish Archaeological Internet Report. 31. Digital. Section 2.2.45, SFS 171.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8269 3629 (20m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-310-1/dissemination/pdf/sair31.pdf (Link to published Scottish Archaeological Internet Report 31)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/240685 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.