MHG4835 - Trumpan Church and Burial Ground
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
J Aitken : 10/12/02
NG26SW 3 2249 6121.
(NG 2249 6121) Church (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
Trumpan Church, now ruinous, orientated E-W and oblong on plan, measures externally 49'9" by 22'10". The N wall stands to a height of about 9' and contains at its W end a small rough arched doorway; only traces of the foundations of the S wall remain. Lying amongst the ruins is a broken stone basin, probably a font. In the churchyard are two late medieval grave-slabs.
Watson (W J Watson 1926) in a very brief reference to St. Connan notes that at Waternish, Skye, there is Cill Chonnain at Trumpan Head. Forbes (A P Forbes 1872) lists S. Conan (ob.648) and notes that he is'honoured amongst the Hebrides' and is said to have been a Bishop of Sodor.
As described above; no further information regarding dedication.
Visited by OS (C F W) 8 January 1961.
A P Forbes 1872; T S Muir 1885; W J Watson 1926; RCAHMS 1928.
A sherd of Medieval green glaze pottery found during restoration is in Skye & Lochalsh Archive Centre (2019), Acc. No. 1988.6. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Forbes, A P. 1872. Kalendars of Scottish saints, with personal notices of those of Alba, Laudonia and Strathclyde. 307-8.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Muir, T S. 1885. Ecclesiological notes on some of the islands of Scotland. 270-1; illust..
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 152, No. 502; fig. 248.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1926. The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916. 282.
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre. 1988.6.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2248 6121 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- FONT (Undated)
- SHERD (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM949 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10939 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.