MHG4853 - Healaval More Cairn A
A possible burial cairn, circular in form, measuring 14.0m in diameter and 0.8m in height. It is much disturbed with a small circular shelter built into it, and a small modern cairn on its E. side.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NG24SW 1 2224 4439 and 2199 4451.
Cairn on top of Healaval More (site).
RCAHMS 1928. <1>
On the plateau forming the summit of Healaval More (or Macleod's Table North), at a height of a little over 1500ft OD, are two cairns, one at the NW end of the plateau and the other at the SE.
Cairn 'A', situated at NG 2224 4439 on the very lip of the plateau, and possibly a burial cairn, is circular measuring 14.0m in diameter and 0.8m in height, it is much disturbed with a small circular shelter built into it, and a small modern cairn on its E. side.
Cairn 'B' situated at NG 2199 4451, is cone-shaped and probably an old trigonometrical station. It is circular, measuring 7.0m in diameter and 1.5m in height.
Visited by OS (C F W) 1961. <2>
Photographs were submitted to the HER in August 2010 of this cairn, from John Phillips, Senior Countryside Ranger, Highland Council. These show that the structure of the cairn has been much altered over the years. <3>
This record refers to Cairn 'A' described by RCAHMS in <2>. Please see MHG53623 for Cairn 'B', which is more probably an old trignometrical station. <4>
<1> RCAHMS, 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, 165, No. 532 (Text/Report). SHG2656.
<2> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Canmore ID 10866 (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<3> Highland Council Planning & Development Service, 08/2010, Photographs of Healaval Mhor Cairns (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24845.
<4> Carey, G, 2010-2011, Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer (Verbal Communication). SHG24799.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 165, No. 532.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 10866.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highland Council Planning & Development Service. 08/2010. Photographs of Healaval Mhor Cairns. Colour. . Digital.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 2224 4439 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/10866 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.