MHG48951 - Walled Garden - Raasay House, Raasay
A 16th century walled garden associated with Raasay House, Raasay.
Type and Period (1)
- WALLED GARDEN (Undated)
- None recorded
A 16th century walled garden near Raasay house.
First mention of the garden appeared in 1549 by Dean Munro who commented that the then building was 'with a fair orcheratis'.
The garden was renowned during the victorian era for its vineries of ripened fruit, peach and hot houses. <1>
In 1786, John Knox on visiting Raasay House commented that it had 'an extensive and excellent garden'. This may be a reference to the walled garden. <2>
The structure appears on the 1st edition 6 inch OS Map and so dated to, at latest, 1882. Although other sources reference it to a much eariler date. <3>
The walled garden was potentially the site of the tower of Iain Ghairbh, Chief of Clan MacLeod of Raasay, as the phrase 'site of Torr Iain Ghairbh' appeared on both the 1st and 2nd edition OS Map. <3> <4>
Test pit excavation was carried out by AALS in January 2006 to locate the potenital remains of the tower of Iain Ghairbh. Whilst remnants of walls were uncovered, it was unclear whether these were a part of the tower. <5>
- --- Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2008. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 276132.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback. p 250.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Macleod N. 2002. Raasay: The Island and It's People. Hardback.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1875-1880. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903-4. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- <5> Text/Report: Martin Wildgoose. 2006. Raasay House Walled Garden: The Search for Iain Ghairbh's Tower (A report on four test pits). Archaeological and Ancient Landscape Survey (AALS). Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 54745 36636 (91m by 82m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/276132 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.