MHG5014 - St. Congan's Chapel, Glendale

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Tombstone Rescheduled November 2000 (notification received 15/11/00)

JWood
21/11/00
------
NMRS notes:

NG14NE 1 1771 4976.

(NG 17714976) Congan's Chapel (NR) (Site of)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

Cille Chomhghain in Glendale, (W J Watson 1926) S. Congan's (or more correctly St. Congan's) (A P Forbes 1872) Chapel, the site of which is said to have been in Kilchoan burying-ground, but no trace of it now remains. In the burial ground is an old bourtree and a scupltured slab (not dated but fully described and illustrated) (RCAHMS 1928) set upside down as a headstone to a modern grave. A font, described as a rough-hewn hollowed out stone was not seen.
A P Forbes 1872; F T Macleod 1910; A B Scott 1918; W J Watson 1926; RCAHMS 1928; W D Simpson 1935; Visited by OS (C F W) 6 December 1960.

Although there is nothing to be seen of this chapel, foundations have been encountered when digging graves 16m ENE of the published site (Information from Mr Mackinnon, Glendale Post Office). The scupltured slab noted by the RCAHMS (a medieval - c.15th century - grave-slab) no longer serves as a headstone, but leans against the wall of the burial ground, just inside the S entrance; the font is built into the top of the wall near the E side of the entrance. The burial ground is still in use and has been extended.
Visited by OS (C F W) 12 May 1961.

Late medieval carved grave-slab in graveyard of 'Congan's Chapel' - scheduled.
Information from OS (I F), 18 April 1974.


Forbes, A P, 1872, Kalendars of Scottish saints, with personal notices of those of Alba, Laudonia and Strathclyde, 310-11 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2204.


Macleod, F T, 1910, 'Notes of sculptured monumental slabs, an undescribed symbol stone, standing stones, brochs, and other antiquities in Skye', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 44 1909-10, p.373-89, 382 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1184.


Scott, A B, 1918, The Pictish nation: its people and its church, 356 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2771.


Watson, W J, 1926, The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916, 281 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2918.


RCAHMS, 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, 151, 165; fig. 244 (Text/Report). SHG2656.


Simpson, W D, 1935, The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships, 84-5 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2798.


Ritchie and Harman, J N G and M, 1985, Exploring Scotland's heritage: Argyll and the Western Isles, 102, no. 41 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2708.

Sources/Archives (7)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 1770 4976 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NG14NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish DUIRINISH

Finds (1)

  • FONT (Undated)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.