MHG50970 - Earthbank and ditch, Coire Mhalagain
Earthbank and ditch, Coire Mhalagain
Type and Period (2)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Site identified during an archaeological survey of Loch Hourn by NOSAS in 2006.
Site 673. The fragmented remains of a ditch and earth bank, c 150m in length, running from one side of a natural gully at the foot of the hill-slope down into peat hags nearer to the burn. At one time it would have effectively enclosed the south side of the upper Coire below Sgurr na Sgein. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2010 Aps. <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.21 Site 673.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2010. Getmapping aerial photography 2010. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 93433 11464 (156m by 3m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/289754 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.