MHG51127 - Abandoned house/store/kiln-barn complex at Croft 5, Balmeanach


A ruined building complex forming part of an abandoned farmstead.

Type and Period (4)

  • HOUSE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1879 AD (at some time))
  • STOREHOUSE (19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1879 AD (at some time))
  • KILN BARN (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1879 AD (at some time))
  • SHEEP FOLD (In use, 20th Century - 1904 AD? to 1904 AD (post))

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A ruined house/store/kiln-barn complex was recorded during a field survey of a proposed new house site. The complex is of a single build. It is shown as roofed on the 1st and 2nd edition 6'' Ordnance Survey maps of 1880 and 1903, but by 1968 it is shown as unroofed. The east gable of the house contains a central fireplace with the flue rising vertically through the gable. The windows either side of the door in the south wall are blocked by dry stonework, suggesting that the building was used as a sheep pen after it lost its roof. A platform set within the north-eastern corner of the building complex has been interpreted as a corn-drying kiln. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference Centred NG 41255 58528 (15m by 9m) (Centred)
Map sheet NG45NW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish SNIZORT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.