MHG51348 - Shieling hut set into head dyke above Lochcarron (D)
One of six roofless buildings, formerly used as shieling huts, set into the head-dyke above Lochcarron.
Type and Period (1)
- SHIELING HUT (18th Century to 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1881 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
Six roofless buildings are set into the head-dyke wall, roughly equally spaced, with one in the middle of each crofting strip. Local knowledge has these buildings as shielings used while watching over the livestock, which at night were coralled into this end of the crofts, trapped between the head dyke and the river gorge forming two sides of a retaining triangle. The shieling huts were all built around 1800, the same time as Lochcarron itself was established. This information was submitted together with photographs by Paul Swan, a local researcher, in September 2008.
Building D measures 5.8m by 3.7m with a 0.8m wide doorway in the south side. <1><2>
This shieling huts may correspond with one of the building depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but this is not certain. <3>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 89680 40211 (6m by 6m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.