MHG22272 - Head dyke, Lochcarron

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HEAD DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NG84SE 9 8992 4027

A single unroofed building attached to the head-dyke of the crofting township of Lochcarron is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire, 1880, sheet cxi), but it is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 7 May 1996.

Several roofed buildings are attached to the head-dyke on the 1st edition 6 inch and 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps, some of which are also depicted on later maps. Six of these have been identified on the ground by a local researcher, Paul Swan (see related records). <1>


<1> Tilbury, S, Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer (Verbal Communication). SHG23297.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 9007 4035 (1039m by 462m) (Mastermap)
Map sheet NG94SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHCARRON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (7)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.