MHG51351 - Shieling hut, Torra Fionn
A shieling hut with the start of a boundary wall running from the NW corner.
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING HUT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This site was notified to us by local researcher, Paul Swan, in September 2008. The shieling overlooks Kishorn brae in a generally south westerly direction and is backed by a crag giving it good protection from bad weather. It is 5.2m long x 3.2m wide x 1.2m highest wall, with a 1.4m wide doorway in its north westerly side. It also has the start of a boundary wall running off from the same NW corner. <1><2>
A feature that matches this description is visible on an RAF vertical aerial photograph dated 1947. <3>
<1> Swan, P, 2008-9, Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area (Text/Correspondence). SHG23871.
<2> Swan, P, 2008, Shielings - Lochcarron Crofts (Text/Manuscript). SHG23888.
<3> Royal Air Force, 1946-7, Highland Council Collection of RAF Vertical Aerial Photographs, CPE/SCOT/UK/248, 3260 (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical). SHG23367.
- <1> Text/Correspondence: Swan, P. 2008-9. Correspondence from Paul Swan regarding several sites in the Lochcarron area. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Swan, P. 2008. Shielings - Lochcarron Crofts. Yes. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Royal Air Force. 1946-7. Highland Council Collection of RAF Vertical Aerial Photographs. CPE/SCOT/UK/248, 3260.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8872 4112 (10m by 11m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|