MHG5136 - Buaile Bhlair, Skeabost
Site of a 16th-century conflict between the Macleods and Macdonalds AD. 1539.
Type and Period (3)
- (Alternate Type) CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- BATTLE SITE (16th Century - 1539 AD to 1539 AD)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Constructed, 16th Century - 1539 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Buaile Bhlair: Site of conflict between the Macleods and Macdonalds AD. 1539. (NAT)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
A large cairn of stones, said to have covered the slain, until lately stood here, but was carted away to make room for the plough.
Name Book 1877. <1>
A large, probably chambered, cairn on the opposite side of Loch Snizort, 300m to the N, today bears the legend that it covers the slain of the battle. (q.v. NG44SW 11)
Visited by OS (C F W) 24 April 1961.
Thick tree cover prevented investigation of this site during a walkover survey in October 2007. <2>
The above description is referring to the chambered cairn MHG5131. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 8, 15.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wood, J.. 2007. Desk Based Assessment and Walk-over Survey: Borve to Edinbane, Isle of Skye - Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 25/10/2007. Digital. Site 12.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 4133 4866 (80m by 80m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11281 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.