MHG51360 - Cultivation remains south of Forres Road, Nairn
A number of undated linear ditched features revealed during trial trenching, probably furrows from rig and furrow cultivation.
Type and Period (5)
- CULTIVATION REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) DRAINAGE DITCH? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) FIELD DRAIN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DITCHED ENCLOSURE? (Unknown date)
- RIG AND FURROW (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A number of undated linear ditched features were revealed during trial trenching in September 2008. Nine of the 24 trenches contained such features, which may be related to rig and furrow cultivation, field drainage or other agricultural activities. With the exception of two, all the features shared similar characteristics and the fills were indicative of a relatively recent date for infilling. <1>
Further excavations in 2011 demonstrated that the majority of the ditches either run parallel or perpendicular to, or terminate adjacent to each other, suggesting they are contemporary. They all appear to have silted up naturally over time, and coupled with the lack of domestic debris or finds, this suggests that they represent agricultural ditches forming part of a large field system. The differential spacing suggests an irregular arrangement probably with smaller enclosures within fields, with the adjacent and parallel ditches forming trackways or walkways between the fields. The few finds from the ditches, including a single shard of glass (possibly intrusive) and small amounts of industrial waste, suggest a medieval to post-medieval date. <2>
- <1> SHG23950 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Richardson, P. 10/2008. Sainsbury’s, Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Archaeological Evaluation. CFA Archaeology Ltd. 16/10/2008. Digital. pp 6-8.
- <2> SHG25367 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McNicol, D. 06/2011. Retail Development at Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Archaeological Excavation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 89456 56145 (138m by 157m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/298396/ (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.