MHG51361 - Pits and other features south of Forres Road, Nairn
A series of undated pits and hearths identified during trial trenching and excavation.
Type and Period (3)
- PIT (Early Iron Age to 19th Century - 550 BC? to 1900 AD?)
- (Former Type) FEATURE (Unknown date)
- HEARTH (Undated)
- None recorded
Six pits were excavated during trial trenching in September 2008. The pits varied in size, form and fills and their function could not be determined. One of the pits contained a fragment of 15th/16th-century pottery in its upper fill. A large amorphous spread (025), possibly a large pit, was identified at the north of the evaluation area in Trenches 16 and 17. One of the linear features terminated at this feature. <1>
The "amorphous spread" mentioned in <1> above was further investigated in 2011. See MHG54303. <2>
Further pits were identified during subsequent excavations in 2011 located randomly throughout all three areas. There was no discernable pattern and in most cases the function and date of the features remains unknown, although it is postulated that some of the pits may date to the later prehistoric period.
Two hearths were uncovered in the south eastern part of the site ( and ). No dating evidence was recovered from either feature. <3>
A fragment of oak charcoal from hearth  was subsequently radiocarbon dated producing a Mesolithic date, although there may be some time-lag effect between the felling of the tree and the use of the wood in the fire (see MHG54960). <4>
- <1> SHG23950 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Richardson, P. 10/2008. Sainsbury’s, Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Archaeological Evaluation. CFA Archaeology Ltd. 16/10/2008. Digital. pp 6-8.
- <2> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <3> SHG25195 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McNicol, D. 02/2011. Retail Development at Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Results of an Archaeological Excavation (Draft). Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
- <4> SHG25367 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McNicol, D. 06/2011. Retail Development at Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Archaeological Excavation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. p 14.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 89456 56145 (138m by 157m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/298396/ (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.