MHG51463 - Radar Station Set House, Hill of Ulbster
Second World War set house or generator house. Associated with the Hill of Ulbster Chain Home Low Radar Station. One of 17 buildings in the group.
Type and Period (1)
- RADAR STATION SET HOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
This building appears to be a brick-built generator house (YARROWS04 713) with a concrete floor and roof. It measures 8.4m from NNE to SSW by 6.5m transversely overall and 4.8m in height. There is a wide entrance on the WNW and a window on the ESE. The interior contains two concrete plinths that probably carried diesel engines. Channels in the floor leading S from the plinths probably carried cables out of the building, and there are apertures high up on the N wall that were probably vents. The fuel tank stood on a high concrete plinth against the outer face of the N wall and was protected by a high anti-blast wall, which springs from the NE corner of the generator house to cover both the tank and the doorway into the building.
A second building (714) lies immediately E of the generator house and measures 6.4m from WNW to ENE by 4.9m transversely overall. Now reduced to a concrete floor within a brick dwarf wall 0.55m high, it was probably originally carried up in timber. In the interior there are six narrow concrete plinths arranged in a double row. Each measures 0.75m in height and has a pair of steel bolts set into its upper surface. Set some 6.5m NW of the generator house there is also a concrete pad (YARROWS04 715) with four steel bolts set into its upper surface.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Site visit 07/11/2008. As described above - no change <1>. Photographs were taken <2>.
Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H., 1985, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983, fig. 91 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2512.
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 07/11/2008 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33232 42201 (14m by 19m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.