MHG19891 - Chain Home Low Radar Station, Hill of Ulbster
Second World War Chain Home Low Radar Station consisting of seventeen buildings of which five are still roofed.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAIN HOME LOW STATION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
What may be a radar station (info from vertical Aps RAF 106G/Scot/UK 162 4001, Flown 1946) is situated on E side of the Hill of Ulbster. Mercer (1985) notes on a plan that it was an anti-aircraft gun emplacement and that ND34SW 93 may have been the gun emplacements.
R J Mercer 1985; Info from RCAHMS (AKK) 9 February 1996.
A Chain Home Low Radar station using a type 31, low power surface watching radar set, housed in a wooden cabin.
Information from Mr I Brown, 19 October 1998
This disused radar station on the summit of the Hill of Ulbster comprises the remains of seventeen buildings of which five are still roofed and twelve have been reduced to little more than their concrete floors. In most cases, particularly where the structures have been sited on uneven or sloping ground, the concrete floor has been laid on a levelled stance made up of loose rock fragments set within low drystone walls.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Visited 07/11/2008. The site is in fairly good condition and has not been subject to the usual vandalism that plagues so many of these sites. Aerial Photograph from May 1946 (Sortie 106G/UK/0076, Photo No 4279) shows the site in reasonable detail; the site is either still in use or has only recently been abandoned. The buildings are all intact and the paths linking the buildings are clearly visible. See records for individual buildings for more detail <1>. Most buildings were photographed during this visit in overcast but clear conditions <2>.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33194 42252 (164m by 255m) (Estimated from sources)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (9)
- Parent of: Military Building Platform, Hill of Ulbster (Monument) (MHG51470)
- Parent of: Military Building Platform, Hill of Ulbster (Monument) (MHG51471)
- Parent of: Military Building, Hill of Ulbster (Building) (MHG51467)
- Parent of: Military Building, Hill of Ulbster (Monument) (MHG51468)
- Parent of: Military Generator House, Hill of Ulbster (Building) (MHG51473)
- Parent of: Military Stores, Offices and Accomodation, Hill of Ulbster (Monument) (MHG51475)
- Parent of: Radar Station Set House, Hill of Ulbster (Building) (MHG51463)
- Parent of: Radio House, Hill of Ulbster (Building) (MHG51474)
- Parent of: Transmitter/Receiver Block, Hill of Ulbster (Building) (MHG51476)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Home_Low (Wikipedia entry for CHL stations)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.