MHG51473 - Military Generator House, Hill of Ulbster
Second World War generator house. Associated with the Hill of Ulbster Chain Home Low radar station. One of 17 buildings in the group.
Type and Period (1)
- GENERATOR HOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
At the N end of the complex is a small generator house measuring 6m from NNE to SSW by 5.2m transversely overall. Brick-built with a flat concrete roof and floor, there is a wide entrance and window in the ESE side and the interior contains low plinths for two generators.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Site visited 07/11/2008. As described above - no change. One of the two windows in the W elevation has been blocked <1>. The generator house was photographed <2>.
Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H., 1985, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983, fig. 91 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2512.
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 07/11/2008 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33182 42364 (6m by 7m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.