MHG51474 - Radio House, Hill of Ulbster
Second World War radio house with mast base. Possibly an Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) building. Associated with the Hill of Ulbster Chain Home Low radar station. One of 17 buildings in the group.
Type and Period (2)
- RADAR MAST (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- RADIO STATION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
The building is a radio house (YARROWS04 719) which lies a further 35m to the WSW of the generator house, and is linked to it by a concrete path. Again brick-built with a concrete roof and floor, it measures only 2.7m square and its entrance on the SSW is protected by an L-shaped blast-wall. A cross-shaped foundation immediately to the N is the base of some form of aerial or mast.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Site visited 07/11/2008. As described above - no change to condition. The building may have been used to house an IFF (Idenfication Friend or Foe) system - the cross shaped tower base is characteristic of such installations. See Assoc. Files for web link for further information on IFF <1>. The features were photographed <2>.
Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H., 1985, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983, fig. 91 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2512.
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 07/11/2008 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33144 42358 (4m by 7m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_friend_or_foe (Further information on IFF at Wikipedia)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.