MHG51468 - Military Building, Hill of Ulbster
Second World War foundation for military building. Associated with the Hill of Ulbster Chain Home Low radar station. One of 17 buildings in the group.
Type and Period (2)
- MILITARY BUILDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- HARD STANDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A structure (711) comprising a concrete pad on the N and a double row of concrete pillars on the S, each of the latter 0.3m square and up to 0.45m in height. Measuring 5.4m from NNE to SSW by 1.9m transversely overall, these supported a structure that was also secured by ropes or wires to four anchor points on the NE, SE, SW, and NW respectively.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Visited 07/11/2008. No change <1>. Feature photographed <2>.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33238 42157 (3m by 5m) (Estimated from sources)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.