MHG51470 - Military Building Platform, Hill of Ulbster
Second World War concrete platform for military building. Associated with the Hill of Ulbster Chain Home Low radar station. One of 17 buildings in the group.
Type and Period (2)
- HARD STANDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY BUILDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A building, reduced to it's concrete floor.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Visited 07/11/2008. The concrete floor is located on the brow of a small ridge. The location of internal room divisions can be still be made out. The ground under the NE corner is eroding and a number of cracks are starting to appear in the concrete <1>. The platform was photographed <2>.
Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H., 1985, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983, fig. 91 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2512.
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 07/11/2008 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33224 42157 (6m by 11m) (Mastermap)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.