MHG51475 - Military Stores, Offices and Accomodation, Hill of Ulbster
The remains of nine Second World War structures which possibly functioned as stores, offices and accomodation. Associated with the Hill of Ulbster Chain Home Low radar station. Nine of 17 buildings in the group.
Type and Period (5)
- HARD STANDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY BUILDING (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- OFFICE? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- ACCOMMODATION HUT? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- STORAGE BUILDING? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
A cluster of nine structures (YARROWS04 700-708), all reduced to their floors, which probably served as offices, stores and accommodation. The structures are situated on the W side of a boggy hollow and some are linked by concrete paths. The southernmost of the structures (708), which is situated beside the track, may have been a guard house or sentry post, while the purpose of the smallest structure (706) at the N end of the cluster is not known.
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 7 September 2004.
Visited 07/11/2008. The site was only viewed from a distance but it could be seen that a number of surviving remains were severley cracked and were breaking up. Geographical representation approximate only <1>. Photographed <2>.
Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H., 1985, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983, fig. 91 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2512.
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
<2> Puls, A, Site Visit Photographs, 07/11/2008 (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG23993.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Hill, P.H.. 1985. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland: Volume III: 1982-1983. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1985. Paper and Digital. fig. 91.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 07/11/2008.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 33172 42160 (16m by 58m) (Approximate)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/95153 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.