MHG51491 - Hut circle - Tighnafiline (1)
A hut circle with associated field clearance cairns.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A walkover survey by Highland Archaeology Services in October 2007 in advance of the proposed construction of a new water main between Aultbea and Mellon Charles identified a hut circle and associated features. The hut circle occupies a slight platform on a gentle SW-facing slope on unimproved ground above Tighnafiline crofts. A turf dyke runs E-W past the hut circle. On this, west of the hut circle, is a small sub-square structure approximately 4m by 3m. East of the hut circle, up to the hill boundary fence are at least 8 spread grass-covered field clearance piles representing a contemporary field system (see MHG58775). <1>
187250 889757 Tighnafeline 1 MR003: The hut circle was visited by A Welti, M Russell and A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This oval HC sits on a platform dug into and built up from a gentle S facing slope. It has panoramic views over land and sea. Around 12 clearance cairns with average diameter of 3m were noted in close proximity to the HC. Outer wall diameters are 9.9m and 11.9m, inner diameters 7.0m and 8.6m. Wall thickness is 1.2m with max height 0.4m. The entrance faces SE and width is 1.5m. The S entrance terminal extends to 3.3m in length. JAN005 (see MHG57931) is 500m distant upslope to NE, out of sight line, and may be associated. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 Aps. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg, C and Wood, J. 11/2007. Desk-Based Assessment and Walk-over survey: Aultbea to Mellon Charles Water Main Renewal. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. 20/11/2007. Digital. Site 7.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MR003.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MR003.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 87244 89768 (14m by 14m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk/ (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.