MHG51497 - Buildings north of 5 Ormiscaig
The partial standing remains of a 19th-century croft house depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Also two barns and a rubble dyke.
Type and Period (3)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1847 AD to 1875 AD (at some time))
- ENCLOSURE (Constructed, 19th Century - 1847 AD to 1875 AD (at some time))
- BARN (Built, 19th Century - 1847 AD to 1875 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
A walkover survey in October 2007 identified a standing, roofed building representing the truncated remains of a much longer building. This is most likely one of the 1847 improved croft houses built during the major croft reorganisation by the Gairloch MacKenzies. The building originally extended a further 7m into the field to the north and is visible as low rubble footings. Two barns were also identified to the south-east, one now roofless, joined by a substantial drystone enclosure. The indistinct remains of a meandering rubble dyke run from the NE corner of the croft house to a small well on the hill slope above (see MHG51498). <1>
In the absence of plans it is not possible from the above description to identify the two barns and the drystone enclosure, so these have not been mapped. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 85887 90509 (8m by 15m) (Mastermap)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.