MHG51501 - Site of former crofthouse at 14 Mellon Charles
The site of two buildings recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1875, of which there is now no trace.
Type and Period (2)
- CROFTHOUSE (Built, 19th Century - 1841 AD to 1850 AD (at some time))
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A walkover survey in October 2007 visited the site of two roofed buildings which are recorded at this location on the 1st edition OS map. There is now no trace of the buildings. It is most likely that these were robbed down to their foundations to provide building stone for the two adjacent croft houses, both of which post-date the 1904 2nd edition OS. The crofter to the west, father of the present resident, is known to have built that house and it is likely that he also built the house to the east and tidied the field clearance stones into the revetted piles and banks (sites 13 and 15) <1>
It seems likely that the larger of the two buildings was the original crofthouse built when the holdings were laid out in the 1840s. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 85262 91393 (32m by 15m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.