MHG5234 - Hut Circle - Loch Baravaig
A hut circle located by RCAHMS but relocated by later surveys.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
Jonathan Wordsworth (Barabhaig WGS Survey) considers the original RCAHMS location to be the correct one. See bibliography. The 'Hut Circle' shown on the OS Map at NG6811 1014 appears to refer to this site. See NG60NE0032 (Parent)
NMRS NG61SE 1 6811 1014.
(NG 680 099) Enclosure or Hut Circle, Loch Borovaig. Some 300 yards N of a dun (NG60NE 5) is a circular enclosure 18ft in diameter
internally surrounded by a stone wall 4ft thick and 1ft high, of
which the outer and inner facings of boulders remain. The entrance is from the E. A tortuous stone wall has been erected some distance to the N and S of the circle. This is probably of late date.
A hut circle as described by RCAHMS. It is situated on a sheltered shelf at NG 6811 1014. About 50m to the SW, built against a low rock face, there is a small circular hut measuring 2.0m in internal diameter, probably a shieling.
Visited by OS (A C) 13 June 1961.
During the pre- afforestation survey by Wordsworth Archaeological Services in 2000, this feature could not be found, almost certainly because there has been confusion between MHG29958 and another site to the W of the proposed WGS boundary (MHG29972). The original 1928 reference would agree with a site at cNG 680 099 (see MHG29972). The description from 1961 is probably that of MHG28858 though the dimensions do not agree. There is therefore no hut circle/roundhouse at this recorded position. <1>
This site was not found at this grid reference in March 2009. However, a hut circle matching this description was located at NG 6824 1021 (MHG29958).
Information from SRP Camuscross, April 2010. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 192, No. 612.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 2000. Barabhaig WGS Isle of Skye: A Rapid Archaeological Survey. Site no. 14.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 6811 1014 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11563 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.